Running is a great way to stay fit but as national guidelines state, your body needs a lot more than aerobic activity. Here are five health benefits of making weightlifting a part of your workout routine.
The Benefits of Weight Training
There is actually a long list of why you should include strength training in your program.
- Not only does strength training increase your physical work capacity, it also improves your ability to perform activities of daily living (ADL’s). You will be able to work harder and longer with the proper weight training activities.
- It improves bone density. One of the best ways you can control bone loss as you age is to add strength training into your workout plan.
- It promotes fat-free body mass with decreasing sarcopenia. The lean muscle mass that we all work so hard for decreases with age. If we don’t add strength training to our routine then it will turn into fat.
- It Increases the strength of connective tissue, muscles, and tendons. This leads to improved motor performance and decreased injury risk.
- It improves your quality of life as you gaining body confidence. Strength training will not only make you strong, but will also help with managing your weight.
You’re going to Torch More Body Fat
In recent research on overweight or obese adults (60 years and older), a combination of low-calorie diet and weight training resulted in a higher fat loss than a combination of low-calorie diet and walking workouts, according to a 2017 study published in the journal Obesity. Adults who walked instead of weight trained lost a relative amount of weight— but a significant portion of weight loss involved lean body weight. In the meantime, adults who did strength training maintained muscle mass while losing fat..
This suggests that strength training is best suited to helping people lose belly fat compared to cardio because while aerobic exercise burns both fat and muscle, weight lifting burns almost exclusively fat.
Why You Should Lift Weights to Lose Belly Fat
You may not think that barbell squats or deadlifts will have any impact on your midsection, but you’d be wrong. “Lifting weights have been shown to do a few amazing things to improve body composition, says Eric Bowling, an NASM-certified personal trainer at Ultimate Performance in Los Angeles. Weightlifting helps to increase your muscle mass, and more muscle mass is one of the only known ways to boost your metabolism. This is because muscle consumes more calories at rest than fat does, so more muscle mass means a higher metabolic resting level. Lower metabolic resting rate means more calories to consume, and therefore more fat to rest.
You’ll Burn More Calories Than Cardio
You may burn more calories during your 1-hour cardio class than you would lifting weights for an hour
You can burn more calories during your 1-hour cardio class than you would by lifting weights for an hour, but a study published in The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research found that women who had burned an average of 100 more calories had burned within 24 hours of their training session. The study published in the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Metabolism found that, following a 100-minute strength training session, the basal metabolic rate of young women increased by 4.2 per cent for 16 hours after workout— around 60 more calories.
You’ll Strengthen Your Bones
Weight lifting doesn’t just train your muscles; it trains your bones. For example, when you perform a curl, your muscles are tugging on the bones of your arm. The cells within these bones react by creating new bone cells, Perkins says. Over time, your bones will become stronger and denser.
You’ll Get Stronger
Lifting lighter weights for more reps is great for building muscle endurance, but if you want to improve your strength, it’s important to increasing the weight. Add compound movements, such as squats, deadlifts, and rows to your heavy weights, and you’ll be amazed at how quickly you develop strength.
- आप की ख़बर2021.01.01ग्रीन गैंग /पर्यावरण सेना द्वारा आयोजित नव वर्ष वृक्षारोपण अभियान
- विज्ञान-तकनीकी2021.01.01Ministry of Defence has signed a contract with BEL for frontline warships of Indian Navy
- आप की ख़बर2021.01.01Remission of Duties and Taxes on Exported Products Scheme gets implemented
- फिट इण्डिया2021.01.01भारत ने सहजन पाउडर का निर्यात शुरू किया